Document Type


Publication Date



Originally built in 1883, Kankakee’s Clock Tower Centre, formerly known as the Arcade Building, has served many different purposes in its history. Hidden within its newest guise as a multi-use office center, is an important development in the economic and educational growth of the Kankakee region.

In May, Governors State University opened the Kankakee Education Center (KEC) in the building. The KEC is a natural extension of the university. GSU draws students from a large radius, which includes Kankakee, Chicago and its suburbs, Northwest Indiana, and the Joliet region. Students are attracted to the university’s 47 professional, accredited degree programs and affordable tuition.