Course syllabus for ALC 815 Alcoholism: Treatment Issues
Course description: This course will look at issues relative to treating alcohol abusers. Specifically, the course will attempt to answer the following seven questions:
- Is alcoholism a symptom or a disease?
- Does alcoholism usually get progressively worse?
- Are alcoholics, before they begin to abuse alcohol, different from non-alcoholics?
- Is abstinence a necessary goal of treatment, or can insisting on abstinence sometimes be counterproductive?
- Is returning to safe, social (controlled) drinking possible for some alcoholics?
- Does treatment alter the natural history of alcoholism?
- How helpful is Alcoholics Anonymous in the treatment of alcoholism?
Dana, Robert Q., "ALC 815 Alcoholism: Treatment Issues" (1985). Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Sciences Syllabi. 14.